Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Track and Field Filled Weekend

My track and field filled weekend started Friday afternoon when I met my mom at Western Oregon University to cheer on her athletes at the state track meet. She coaches at Colton High School and had a good number of kids qualify for the state meet. 

Saturday morning Greg and I headed to the Dallas High School track to set up our canopy for Relay for Life. Since I've taught at Henry Hill Elementary School, we have had a Relay for Life team - Henry Hill Heroes. We got to the track at 9am and set up the canopy and began to decorate our site. At 10am the starting ceremonies began and I walked for 30 minutes. For those of you who don't know, Relay for Life is  a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. People form teams and raise money to fight cancer. Teams come together for Relay for Life and have team members take turns walking around the track for 24 hours in support of finding a cure for cancer.

We left for a while to meet up with my parents at the state track meet at WOU. Her team did incredibly well, the boys took 2nd in state and one of her seniors got Athlete of the Year! 
She's standing at the podium with her 1st AND 2nd place athletes (who are brothers by the way) in the 800 meter run.
Greg and I got back to Relay for Life around 7pm where we ate dinner and I prepared for my hour long walk from 7-8pm. 
all of the team sites around the track


Greg played football while I walked

some of my teammates setting up the luminaria bags

One of the luminaria bags during the ceremony. The track looked amazing lit  up by all of the bags honoring friends and family who are fighting, survived, or have lost the battle to cancer.

Marcos helping Greg, s'more in hand :)

"The guys" on our team

He loved the glow sticks 

I failed to take many pics, but this is where Greg and I "slept" that night. It was more like resting our eyes comfortably.

Where we spent a lot of our time... around the campfire.

At midnight there was pizza and hot chocolate and the movie Tangled showed on the big screen. We enjoyed visiting around the campfire and around 1:30 Greg and I hit the hay expecting to be woken up to walk a few hours later. Surprisingly, we had teammates who stayed up all night and walked! We started our walking shift at 5:30am, had breakfast by the fire, hung out for closing ceremonies, cleaned up and were home by 12:30pm. We crashed on the couches and napped for 5 hours! A busy, but fun weekend :) 

1 comment:

  1. Relay for Life sounds like a great event. Also, Greg looks super tough with that glow stick thing around his head.

    ReplyDelete