Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Budget Keeping, Coupon Clipping, Receipt Saving Kinda Girl

 
I am 42 days into a 90 day study on living the Proverbs 31 life. I started reading Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be by Donna Partow when I realized that I would not be teaching full time. I knew that I needed God to carry me through this trial and thought this would be a great study to draw me closer to Him. So far in my study, God has taught me about how to change my life by incorporating the following: Godly habits, healthy eating, strengthening my body, management tools, and financial planning.

The most recent chapter I studied dealt with Financial Planning. I am incredibly aware of finances now that I do not have a steady income and I am disappointed that I was not more conscious of my spending while I had a steady income. By no means was I a "shopoholic", but I definitely took advantage of picking up a pizza when I didn't want to cook dinner, making a late night run to McDonalds for a McFlurry, or grabbing a Chai Tea when I was near a Starbucks.

I am currently obsessed with updating our monthly budget, making the best use of coupons, and saving money wherever I can. Last week I realized how greatly I had fallen into society's idea that you need to have the trendy clothing, matching home decor, or food court meal at the mall. Greg insisted on going to the mall last weekend to purchase a video game (he traded in some of his used ones to get a discount. He's doing so well with this saving thing!) As we headed into the mall my mind started to race knowing that I was not there to shop. I had done such a good job for 3 weeks of only spending money on needs and not wants. As we passed by a clothing store I said to Greg, "Wow. I think I have a problem. My stomach is seriously hurting right now just knowing I can't buy anything while we're here." He laughed and said, "I think you're just hungry." Before leaving the mall I used a coupon for a free pretzel at Auntie Anne's and felt much better. Maybe I was just hungry... or maybe I felt better because I had "purchased" something. At any rate, I was proud of making a purchase without spending any money!

I'm so thankful to see that God is teaching me so much already in this trial I'm going through. It's not ideal to be unemployed at the moment but I think that God is teaching me to be wise when it comes to finances and preparing me to support, provide for, and take care of my family in the future.

Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? ~ Matthew 6:25

Blessing: I have 3 sub jobs next week and have scheduled many more for October and November!

No comments:

Post a Comment