Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Stay at Home Mom... Only I'm Not a Mom

A recent victim of our economy, I find myself unemployed after teaching 3rd graders for 2 wonderful years. Awaiting confirmation on my substitute teaching registration has left me at home 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I am beginning to realize how stay at home moms feel, only I have no children, not even a pet at home to keep me busy.

My average day consists of the following:
8am: up with the hubby, eat breakfast, and make him lunch.
8:30am: TAG (Time Alone with God)
9:30am: Monmouth Fitness for an hour of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training.
11am: hit the showers, hair, makeup, etc.
12pm: lunch
12:30pm: Try to find something to do to keep me from watching television all afternoon!

When I first found out my teaching position was cut in June I thought, "God's going to take care of me." July rolled around and I thought, "Maybe I should start looking for other jobs. Nah, I'll be fine, God will take care of me." August approaches with the promises of stimulus money and I think "Praise God! I knew He would take care of me!" The end of August comes and as I'm cleaning out my classroom I think, "Lord, why didn't You take care of me?"

September starts and I feel angry, hurt, betrayed, and helpless. I decided to throw myself quite a few pity parties which my incredible husband put up with, bless his heart. Greg has had to wipe many tears, give several hugs, and say lots of encouraging words the past few weeks. And now, after a few weeks of tearful prayers questioning God, I'm praising Him for all He can do and will do in my life.

One reason I wanted to start this blog was to see how God blesses Greg and I during this tough financial time. He clearly has other plans for us than we had for ourselves. I can't wait to look back on the struggles we have been facing and see how God worked it all out for good. 

And we know in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him. *Romans 8:28

Blessing this week: God provided medical and dental care for me free of cost at the Health Center at Chemawa. Amazing how He planned all the way back to something like my heritage to help provide for me.

6 comments:

  1. Megan, I didn't know you lost your job! I'm sorry but I'm proud of the attitude you've taken recently. I know God will walk with you no matter what valley or hill you're on. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing the journey God takes you on! What does he have for you? Excited to see that answer unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    When Jeremy and I first got married we both lost our jobs within a couple months of one another. It was a hard time, but I think we are better for it. It definitely strengthened our relationship. I'm excited to hear about the journey you have with God (and with Greg) through this experience.
    -Kira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, This was so encouraging to read! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you've entered the blogging world, Megan! I am so thankful for the privilege of being there when you and Greg promised to stand by each other no matter what life brought your way. It is great to hear that you both are supporting each other as life goes on. We love you and pray for you often! Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete