Saturday, September 25, 2010

No Data Package, Thank You

I have never been much of a "techy" person, but I do enjoy having a computer, cell phone, and an iPod to use. My thoughts on smartphones such as the Droid and iPhone have been mixed. I have nothing against people who own such phones, I on the other hand have no desire to be so "connected." I'm beginning to think however, that staying connected will be inevitable.

It's time for a cell phone upgrade, so last night I was on AT&T's website checking out some of the latest cell phones. I browsed the site knowing that I was looking for a cell phone with: great texting capabilities, excellent battery life, and a camera that takes better quality pictures than the one I have now. I found a few excellent candidates until I read the fine print below indicating the extra monthly charge I would need to pay for a REQUIRED data package. Soon I became quite frustrated that I am being required to pay for a data package that I simply do not want to use.

The phones that caught my eye prior to realizing they required such a spendy package were:


The Sony Ericsson Vivaz with an 8.0 megapixel resolution and the Motorola Backflip with a 5.0 megapixel resolution.  Realizing that these phones are out of my budget with the required data package monthly payment I began a new search and found the following:

               
The Pantech Impact with a 2.0 megapixel resolution and the Pantech Link with a 1.3 megapixel resolution. Let me recap for you quickly: Data Package Phone camera resolution = 8.1 megapixels, Phone Without Data Package = 2.0 megapixels. WHY?!!!!

I feel like there is some great marketing ploy to stop improving basic cell phones to increase customer desire for a smartphone with a data package. If that's their game, it's working. I so badly want to pay the extra money for a data package JUST to have a better camera on my phone. I won't do it because it's a waste of my money right now and I don't need a data package. I guess I don't need a nice camera on my phone either. This may need to be my mantra as I enter the AT&T store next weekend for a phone "I don't need that cool feature, I don't need that cool feature, I don't need that cool feature," so that by the time I make my purchase I can tell the clerk "No data package, thank you."

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~Matthew 6:19, 21


Blessing: I am able to continue my Master's Program this week with my first class of fall term.

No comments:

Post a Comment