Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Cover DIY

I don't claim to be much of a DIY-er. I can't sew, I'm not artistic, and finances are tight with me staying at home, so my DIY capabilities are fairly limited. Looking around our home this week I have wanted to add new decor or repurpose our decor somehow. Alexis and I took a trip to the local thrift store for inspiration, and I am so cheap that I wasn't willing to spend $7.50 on a used frame or $5.50 on a used vase (this is why I prefer garage sales). Anyhow, I came home, pulled out my scrapbook paper and started thinking of ways I could use it with items already in our home. This is what I came up with (I may have seen this on Pinterest, but I didn't have it pinned, just a disclaimer that I am in no way claiming that this was my brilliant, original idea.
Greg and I have a lot of books, but about half of them are in boxes. I dug through them to find hardback books of different sizes that I knew we wouldn't be reading (old textbooks, gift books, etc).
Then I laid out an assortment of 12X12 scrapbooking paper.
Next, I placed the book on the paper to measure where to fold the top and bottom edges... this took me back to middle school when we had to put protective covers on every single text book. Anyone else remember those days?
I used regular Scotch tape to secure the paper to the book
I found that the 12X12 paper was not the correct size to cover the entire book, but that wouldn't be a problem since only one side/angle of the book would be showing.
Finished product...
I liked the finished product so much that I created another book stack for Alexis' room... but now I think I may steal it for my room!
Hope this inspired some of you if you've been looking to spruce up some decor in your home! It seriously took me less than an hour and that's with a 9 month old around me the whole time. Have a great week!




1 comment:

  1. They look great! I've never done it, but have also see the idea on decor blogs/Pinterest and thought I should try it. I love the combo of papers you used, good choices!

    ReplyDelete