Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My life this week

We put applications in to an apartment in Springfield. Not sure when we can move in, but we start house sitting for my aunt down there this weekend. I've been alternating between packing and homework the last couple of days. I think this will be my life for the next week or so.

 Greg brought some boxes home from the hotel so I was able to pack some things. I feel like the worst packer in the world. I never know where to start.
 I'm trying to use any containers or decorative boxes I have as packaging materials. I've packed six or seven large boxes, plus the wicker ones above, and it doesn't look like I've even put a dent into packing up our place. At least the move will happen in stages, not too stressful.
 In between packing, I've been working on homework for my two graduate courses for my Masters degree. One of my classes is Contemporary Issues in Children's Literature and the other is Leadership and Policy in a Diverse Society. Both of these classes are very interesting.
In my Contemporary Issues class, one of our assignments is to read two young adult novels and 50 children's books, as well as two books with a group from class, and another novel as an entire class. The book Loser on the left is by Jerry Spinelli and is a fun easy read about a quirky kid who doesn't fit the norm at school. It follows him from Kindergarten through 8th grade. The book The Absolute True Diary of a Part Time Indian on the right, by Sherman Alexie is our whole class read. It was on the New York Times Best Seller list and is incredibly entertaining! It's about a boy who grows up on an Indian Reservation and makes the choice to attend high school off of the reservation. My description cannot even do it justice. It touches on serious issues with so much humor that I was laughing about every other page. The book in the middle, Ask Me No Questions by Marina Budhos is about an illegal immigrant from Bangladesh and her family and the troubles that arise for them while living on the East Coast. I haven't read it yet but am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with all of the packing and moving! We will need to come visit sometime this summer.

    ReplyDelete